Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ready or Not here comes Baby Kaiya...

Very long story with no pictures. Sorry. I will try to update my baby bump tonight if I remember. We had a little labor scare yesterday. Here is how it went...

So.... After 4 hours of contracting every 4 minutes during the night, I called my sister in a panic/emotional attack trying to find out if I was really in labor, or if I was just crazy. Worst part of the story is that my family had just arrived in Hawaii and they will be there for an entire week. My sister answers the phone with "You better not be in labor." That's when the tears started. I'm the OB/GYN nurse here. I should know what to do. I should know if I'm in labor or not. I had done everything I tell my patients to do when they think they are in labor. Get in the tub, drink plenty of fluids, lay down on your left side. If the contractions stop you're in false labor. Well... They didn't stop. So after getting off the phone with my sister and mom, I fought with myself for 30 minutes to call my boss, who happens to be my OB/GYN. I decided to call Dr Weibell instead because he was on call, and Dr Judd wasn't and I felt really bad waking him up at 3 in the morning. After a long emotional (on my end) conversation with Dr Weibell, we decided I would just stay home and labor for a few hours and then come in to work at 8 and get checked. So I did. And contracted still every 4 minutes for the rest of the night, getting zero minutes of sleep all night. Nate was slightly panicked and didn't want to go to school. I made him, telling him I would call him as soon as Dr Judd got to the office and he could come over for my exam. Both of us were panicking because we didn't even have a hospital bag packed. I threw a couple things togther after taking him to school, having NO idea what I need. Once I got to work, my good friends and co worker, another RN, insisted on calling Dr Judd at the hospital to see if I should just come over there. He wanted me to come there instead of waiting for him to come to the office. Again, I get all emotional, crying saying that I can't be in labor. I still have 4 more weeks. AND my family is gone for a whole week! So my friend takes me to pick up Nate at school so he can drive me to the hospital. Once there, Dr Judd comes in to check things out. After checking me he says "Are you in full blown Labor? No. Are you going to be very soon? Yes." Great. Now what. I can't have this baby right now! He says I'm 100% effaced, dilated to a 1 and a half and my bag of water is buldging. He said he could break it very easily if he wanted. Awesome. Usually I would be ecstatic with this news. The only thoughts that keep running through my head are- She can't come now. I can't have a NICU baby. What if her lungs aren't ready. My family isn't here! What am I going to do! I still have so much to do to get ready. I don't even have her crib! Where is she going to sleep! So Dr Judd gives me the option to be admitted to stop labor, or go home and try to sleep it off stating I'll either wake up in full blown labor or I will wake up feeling great. I chose to go home. So with dr's orders to take some awesome drugs, I go home and knock myself out. Luckily I woke up to decreased contractions that have since stopped completely. One night of "taking it easy" was enough for me. I was going crazy being home all day and all night. I decided to come to work this morning. What better place to go into labor than at your OB office with your OB right there, right? So here we sit and wait. Not knowing when she'll come. Predicting it will be this week. Dr Judd doesn't think I'll make it to Sunday, but I keep hoping she'll stay put for at least 6 more days. I've been banned to my little office by my co workers. I'm not "allowed" to walk around all day. SO everyone please send the "baby Kaiya you need to stay in there" vibes my way because I need them!! We'll keep you updated!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good luck with everything Nic! We will keep our fingers crossed for you!

Stephanie (Blackhurst) Jones said...

Hang in there Nicki! You are awesome and you have a wonderful husband that will take care of you and your little one. Just remember that the Lord will not let anything happen to you that you cannot handle.

t5winmom said...

Hey Darling! Sounds like you've got a case of the "First Time Mama Jitters"! Classic symptoms: saying &/or feeling "I'm not ready! You're not due yet! My bag's not packed! I don't have a crib!"

You're gonna do GREAT!!! Coach Nate will do GREAT!!! Sounds like Baby Kaiya is going to be an over-acheiver... Some buns bake faster than others. Maybe you're a convection oven, not a conventional one!

Trust your body, trust your husband, & trust that Heavenly Father is in charge. Happy delivery!! I'll be praying for y'all! xoxo Angie

t5winmom said...

t5winmom - that's me, your cousin Angie. Loves!!!

Ali Holt said...

How exciting. Kind of makes me want to do it all over again... Im so happy for you guys! P.S. dont worry about a crib, Boston didnt sleep in his until about 7 1/2 months. Im sure you have a boppy pillow, that thing saved my life the first 3 weeks. He loved sleeping in that. I hope she waits long enough for your family to get there, congratulations! Enjoy labor-- its an insane feeling but so amazing at the same time. GOOD LUCK!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Oh my goodness!! I am sending her my vibes. She better listen to her Aunt Giselle or she will be getting a spanking. Nicki...you better be ready to be a mommy. Like right now. Love you guys. Good luck!!!!

Eli and Ness said...

Nikki!! Holy cow!!! Here I am and mine won't come out!!! I'll send you all my unwanted stay in vibes if you send me your unwanted come out vibes!!! Deal??? Call me if you need anything girl! I love you!

Mandy and Brian said...

I'm excited for you Nicki, I hope everything goes well!